"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Friday, January 1, 2010

The Former Things

“Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert,” Isaiah 43:18-19

Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure,” Isaiah 46:9-10

There are two passages in Isaiah where God tells us not to remember the past and the other where He tells us to remember the past. I find this interesting as we approach a new year, leaving behind things that may have caused us pain as well as those things that may have prompted us to cry with joy. In all things give thanks unto the Lord for His faithfulness.

The first passage: “Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old…” In the preceding verses God makes plain how He paves the way for us. “I am the LORD, your Holy One, the creator of Israel, your King. Thus saith the LORD, which maketh a way in the sea, and a path in the mighty waters; Which bringeth forth the chariot and horse, the army and the power; they shall lie down together, they shall not rise: they are extinct, they are quenched as tow,” Isaiah 43:15-17, KJV. As I read this, I thought about Moses being led by God in taking the people out of Egypt. The literal description of how the Red Sea was parted and how God shielded them as they crossed over. Think about this for a moment. Imagine a wall of roaring sea waters encompassed on both sides of you as you walk a path looking ahead. It could be quite intimidating, especially knowing that the enemy is pursuing you from behind. In this, the message of focusing on God resonates so loudly, one can hardly ignore. Look ahead to where our help comes from, just as Peter was being taught by God—the Son, Jesus Christ.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me,” Psalm 23:4. Remember that rod Moses held, it was only activated with the anointing from God. Notice here that the rod and staff comforts. This comfort comes from God—the Holy Spirit. “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you,” John 14:26, KJV. Take a look back at Exodus 14:14-16, AMP, “The Lord will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace and remain at rest. The Lord said to Moses, Why do you cry to Me? Tell the people of Israel to go forward! Lift up your rod and stretch out your hand over the sea and divide it, and the Israelites shall go on dry ground through the midst of the sea.”

But then God states to recall those things of the past. It is interesting because I see it as how much He’s done, yet still more that He will do. In the midst of putting away the former things, He also instructs to remember the former things. Well, both scriptures shed light on the way we’re to live in this world today. We should focus on the goodness of the Lord and understand that He is still fully able to perform miracles. It did not stop in the Old Testament; it did not end when Jesus left Earth because God is still here. His Holy Spirit resides here, making intercessions on our behalf. “…for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure.” He wants us to remember His faithfulness, but also to understand His love. Recall those things of the past, but know that the past trials should not keep you from seeking Him now.

Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus,” Philippians 3:13-14, KJV.

No comments: