"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Friday, February 12, 2010

Search me, O God

“Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting,” Psalm 139:23-24, KJV.

Surrendering to God is the best decision anyone could ever make in life. It places God in the position He’s meant to be in. It catapults Him to the number one slot in our lives versus coming in as a close second, third, or not at all. There has been a point in everyone’s life where God was not number one. Consider life when we were unsaved. We were born into sin, but when we came to understanding we became responsible. In becoming responsible we accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

As I ponder on the verses above, it brings a sense of peace knowing that God is fully capable and eager to answer such prayers. I say this because it is in submission to God. By asking God to search our inner parts is a tell-tale admission that we don’t know everything. For me, it is insurance of my soul’s salvation. It keeps me in check because I don’t want to ever come to a point where I think or feel that I can walk this journey alone. It is quite possible to become complacent in our prayer life, taking God for granted. Many may say that “God knows my heart.” But what we must be careful of is what exactly is in our hearts.

Have we become a victim to circumstance; a product of our environment? I see and hear so often (and have fallen prey to this as well) the comparison of another. For example, some may say, “Well, what I’m doing is not as bad as what so and so is doing.” Who is our standard? What set of rules are we living by? The set man created or the ones set forth by God Almighty?

And see if there be any wicked way in me…” There could be things we’re carrying around that we’re not aware of. For instance, we could walk around with a sour look plastered across our faces and not even know it until someone brings it to our attention. What about the things in our heart that prompts that distasteful expression? Is it from righteous anger or something else?

This is what I desire for God to do for me, “…lead me in the way everlasting.” What an awesome assurance to have the Holy Spirit leading, guiding, and directing us in the way we should go. I summon God’s protection each and everyday for I know without Him I can do nothing and I am nothing. We are made whole through His loving kindness. We must have a desire to be made whole….to have a right relationship with our Creator.

Where do we want to spend eternity? How do we insure this? We receive insurances for our houses, vehicles, and life…what about our souls? It all boils down to one important thing we are (or should be) striving for and that is plainly stated in Psalm 27:4, KJV, “One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.”

No comments: