"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Bad Case of the Complaints

I never use to think this about myself until I heard a sermon—that was just for me. I was pretty much “the victim” and felt I had reason to object what had been done to me over the course of my life. I felt that the world had singled me out for ridicule, but I didn’t look around at all of the others who had experienced the same or even worse.

My life, in my eyes, appeared to be tumultuous—to say the least. It went from having my identity stolen to getting tangled up in a relationship with a drug dealer. It ranged from evaluating blood that held the AIDs virus (and disputing the accuracy of those results to my then supervisor where I ended up leaving because of it amongst other things) to looking into the teary eyes of a person living with that very disease. But I thought I had something to complain about.

God answered me when I asked, “Why me?” with “Why not you?” He reminded me of Joseph being sold into slavery, Daniel in the lion’s den, Jonah in the belly of the whale, John the Baptist having been beheaded, and of course Jesus Christ who hung on a cross—blameless. Jesus said, Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.” I realized then that I had nothing to complain about.

I remembered those who can't walk, talk, or even get dressed on their own. I took note of those who have been raped, maimed, and crippled. I considered those who grew up in foster homes and broken families. I took the medicine to cure me of the bad case I had ...of the complaints.

"Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5, KJV

"Do not complain, brethren, against one another, so that you [yourselves] may not be judged. Look! The Judge is [already] standing at the very door." James 5:9, Amplified version

Additional Reference: Luke 23:34

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LIKE THIS, BECAUSE I TOO USE TO COMPLAIN ALL THE TIME. I ALWAYS HEARD PPL SAY THERE IS SOMEONE WORST OFF THAN YOU. I FOUND THAT TO BECOME SO TRUE.

Tereza Allen-Duncan said...

This is the post you put up when I was on FB making comments on the same thing...look at God...we were on one accord that day for sure...find that good in all we do...God does not deal in complaints...the next time you wanna complain...imagine that you are standing before the Lord saying it to him...I'm gonna try that too...

Renee said...

That's a good point. I always use to think about what would God say or think of me, but to imagine saying it to Him puts another spin on it. I'm gonna have to try that as well.

Thank you.