"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Our Daily Bread

When we say the model Lord's Prayer, we ask for daily bread. We don’t ask for weekly bread or quarterly bread, we ask for daily bread. Consider if you only ate physical food once a week, on Sunday morning, and it was expected to last you all week long. Would you be able to be strengthened and properly nourished by that one good meal? Well, for some, that happens when the Bible isn’t opened but once a week, if then. We start to spiritually decline.

I was there at a point in my life. I went to church and praised God, went home and thought about Him during the week. Prayed to Him, especially in time of need, but was I being fed? I don’t think I was because I was not eating everyday. I ate a few times a week, if that, and wondered why there wasn’t any real growth. I knew this because I charted it by what was going on in my life. If I kept encountering the same things over and over, I realized that I was in the same place and hadn’t moved very far because of my baby steps. Does this describe someone you may know?

Do we consult horoscopes for advice instead of eating our daily bread? Horoscope is a prediction of someone's future based on the relative positions of the planets. So, why would one seek a horoscope to determine their future if they are a Christian? This is spiritual adultery, another form of cheating on God. We don’t need a horoscope to tell us our future. We don’t need someone to read our palms to “predict” our lives. We need God to guide us because He is the beginning and the ending. Remember, Alpha and Omega?

God tells us to study His word and show ourselves approved. And if we don’t, he lets us know that we perish because of lack of knowledge. But He promises to fill those who hunger and thirst after righteousness. How wonderful it is to know that He provides my daily bread and more!

“Give us this day our daily bread.” Matthew 6:11, KJV

Additional References: Matthew 6: 5-13, Revelation 1:8, 2 Timothy 2:15, Hosea 4:6, Matthew 5:6

No comments: