"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Thursday, April 29, 2010

Blessed are the Pure of Heart

Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God,” Matthew 5:8, KJV.

Each day we must examine our motives for whatever it is we may be doing. Whether it is sharing a friendly word of encouragement or extending a helping hand. I’ve found that it’s not so much what a person does that matters but rather what their motives are for doing it. Even our court system rules on motive.

Take for instance, yesterday morning when I found myself walking behind a woman whose shirt was slightly caught up on one side of her body partially exposing her bare skin. She had headphones on and was walking for exercise. She had weights in her hands and appeared to be engulfed in her work out routine. I could have ignored the elevated shirt and look straight ahead as I was about to pass her. My motive for it would have been that I didn’t want her thinking I was trying to embarrass her by drawing attention to the folds of exposed skin. Rather, I thought that if it were me I would want somebody to tell me. I wanted to ensure that nobody else would see what I saw…especially not a male. My motive was out of love…to help her, to protect her body.

Now, let’s take an example of working in a ministry or volunteering with an organization. There are opportunities to assist in various capacities. One could visit the sick and shut-in, feed the homeless, or offer time and services. Someone may counsel another, extend a helping hand, or render a smile all by demonstrating the love of Christ. The contrary comes in when it is done grudgingly or unwillingly. Is there a pure motivation to extend these services by advancing the kingdom of God or is there an underlying motive to get “payback” by those you’ve delivered these services to. Is there an inkling of doing it just to say that you’ve done something by shouting it on the roof-tops or corner of every street?

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward,” Matthew 6:1-2, KJV.

TAKE CARE not to do your good deeds publicly or before men, in order to be seen by them; otherwise you will have no reward [[a]reserved for and awaiting you] with and from your Father Who is in heaven. Thus, whenever you give to the poor, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites in the synagogues and in the streets like to do, that they may be [b]recognized and honored and praised by men. Truly I tell you, they have their reward [c]in full already,” Matthew 6:1-2, AMP.

In all that you do, examine your motives. What is the reason behind whatever it is that you do? Is it for the glory of God or the exaltation of self? Is it to please Him or to please man? Are your motives pure?

No comments: