"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Friday, April 23, 2010

The Great and Terrible Day of the Lord, part 2

In the previous post the focal passage mentioned was Joel 2:1-12 along with passages from Malachi, 2 Peter, Acts 2, and Revelation 1. Today, I would like to focus more deeply on Revelation 1:12-18, KJV.

And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength. And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death, Revelation 1:12-18, KJV.

There are numerous passages in addition to what I have posted that describes the great and terrible day of the Lord. One thing that I pondered on was why it was considered terrible. The word terrible means there is something to dread, something awful, something is horrifying. To me this didn’t compute as it relates to the Lord. But of course the Holy Spirit swiftly ministers that this does not apply to me or any other saved person. The great and terrible day will be to those who have not accepted Christ. Those who have rejected invitation after invitation, those who have ripped up planted seed after planted seed. It is terrible to those who want nothing to do with Jesus Christ and the gift of salvation He offers. It was their choice. They have chosen their fate which is hell.

Jesus’ eyes “were as a flame of fire…” This prompts me to think of righteous anger. Jesus offers everything…even his very life on the cross. Still, there are some who offer nothing back except rejection. Consider a person so full of denial that they just won’t believe. It’s the hardness of a person’s heart that makes this day so terrible for them.

Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory,” Matthew 24:29-30, KJV.

For me this will be a glorious day!

No comments: