"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Wednesday, May 19, 2010

How long?

Proverbs 1:22-33, AMP
22How long, O simple ones [open to evil], will you love being simple? And the scoffers delight in scoffing and [self-confident] fools hate knowledge?
23If you will turn (repent) and give heed to my reproof, behold, I [[a]Wisdom] will pour out my spirit upon you, I will make my words known to you.(A)
24Because I have called and you have refused [to answer], have stretched out my hand and no man has heeded it,(B)
25And you treated as nothing all my counsel and would accept none of my reproof,
26I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when the thing comes that shall cause you terror and panic--
27When your panic comes as a storm and desolation and your calamity comes on as a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you.
28Then will they call upon me [Wisdom] but I will not answer; they will seek me early and diligently but they will not find me.(C)
29Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord,(D)
30Would accept none of my counsel, and despised all my reproof,
31Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way and be satiated with their own devices.
32For the backsliding of the simple shall slay them, and the careless ease of [self-confident] fools shall destroy them.(E)
33But whoso hearkens to me [Wisdom] shall dwell securely and in confident trust and shall be quiet, without fear or dread of evil.
As I listened to a sermon this morning, I pondered exactly why it is that people go to church. It is good to go, but are the motives pure? Have many of us succumbed to the ritual or tradition of getting up on Sunday mornings to attend a service just because that’s what is expected? Do we yawn in the face of God? Do we seek Him only when we need something or continue to praise Him for who He is?

In spiritual maturity comes wisdom. In wisdom God will make His words known to us. In God making His word known to us we can rest easy without fear or dread of evil.

No comments: