"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Monday, August 16, 2010

Praise God, even in Adversity

I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities,” Psalm 31:7, KJV.

There are times in life when tears fall, brokenness comes, and lack of understanding abounds, but praise God. There may be issues of infidelity, betrayal, and deceitfulness swarming, but praise God. It doesn’t matter what you may be going through, still praise God.

Not too long ago, I awoke one morning not knowing what to pray. My spirit felt so burdened down, so heavy that all I could say to the Lord in that moment was that I don’t know what to pray. God led me to Psalm 150. That particular Psalm is all about praising Him. I heard in my spirit God saying, “When you don’t know what to pray, praise Me.” It helped me to understand that the Holy Spirit intercedes on my behalf as stated in Romans 8: 26-27: “So too the [Holy] Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness; for we do not know what prayer to offer nor how to offer it worthily as we ought, but the Spirit Himself goes to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable yearnings and groanings too deep for utterance. And He Who searches the hearts of men knows what is in the mind of the [Holy] Spirit [what His intent is], because the Spirit intercedes and pleads [before God] in behalf of the saints according to and in harmony with God's will.”

Being mindful that the enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy. His mission has not changed; the intensity to do so, I believe, becomes even stronger when a person gets saved. The devil’s fate is sealed; he wants nothing but to deceive people into thinking God’s word isn’t true. We must submit to God, resist the devil, and he will flee (James 4:7). So when difficult times arise, continue to thank God for who He is.

Jesus instructed that the first and greatest commandment is to love the Lord our God with all of our heart, soul, and mind (Matthew 22:37). Proverbs 4:23 (AMP) states “Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life.” We want peace, “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee,” Isaiah 26:3, KJV. The soul, our inner being, the part that will go on to be with Christ forever stems from our decision to choose life and not death; to surrender all to the Lord. “Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God,” Romans 13:1, KJV.

Our circumstances ought not to define us. There will be trials and tribulations in this life, but God is always there for us, ready to meet our needs. Praise Him in all things, for He is worthy to be praised.

Additional Reference: Psalm 96:4

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I have been going through hard times. been asking God to deliver me. I just ask God to keep mr holy. I try and I know he is my protector. I stay away from conflict. God has called me to peace. I ask God to remove bitterness. I don't claim any wrong spirit in me. God is taking me higher in him I will thank him everyday in Jesus name.

Renee said...

Amen! God is so worthy to be praised. He is awesome and we must focus on the positive and not the negative that goes on in this world. Continue to be encouraged by our God who sent Jesus Christ to save our souls.