"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Where is your Heart?

What do we treasure most, holding it nearest and dearest to our hearts? Is it material things such as cars, homes, jewelry, money…or our faith in our Lord? Yes again, it seems a silly thing to ask, but when examined, the truth is revealed. Often people don’t even know that they’re holding materialistic things close to their heart.


Consider this: “Don’t touch my car, no you can’t ride in it while you’re eating! I don’t care if you’re hungry,” or “No those dishes are for display, you better go buy some paper plates because I won’t have you eating off of my fine China,” or even, “I’m busy talking on the phone, child, your problem can wait until I finish up,” and the conversation is idle chat. The child may really need your advice...but you have no time for them. They may be walking away with tears in their eyes and you're too busy to see them.

Do you consider your faith in the daily decisions that you make? If on a job and the boss asks you to do something out of the will of God, would you do it just to keep the job…uh, because this is a declining economy and jobs are hard to come by? No one will know, you think. God does. Where your treasure is, there you’ll find your heart.

I’ve found that it is not worth it to lose the favor of God just to gain the approval of man. This world can offer me nothing in comparison to God’s blessing—absolutely nothing. I have learned that it is better to lose things of this world than to lose my soul. It’s just not worth it.

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Matthew 6: 19-21, KJV

3 comments:

Mallen said...

These words are so true! Often times I've found myself doing these very things; in a sense that I'm too busy and have no time for things that should mean most to me; especially the Lord. So many times it's not intentional, but we don't even realize it. We must take more time for God and less time for materialistic things that we neither entered or can leave this earth with. Exercising our faith in God will get us through any and all situations. Nothing is too hard for him to handle. We must trust him and believe that he will never put us in situations that we cannot bear.

Tereza Allen-Duncan said...

Over the last few years I have been focusing more on my thinking and my priorities...seeking God first is my primary focus...I am about order spiritually, mentally and physically...all these things are of God and I want to live accordingly...I had to discipline myself to accept change...these changes have definitely tested and built my faith levels let me tell you! Nevertheless, I am better for it...still growing and still being certain that my actions are not contrary to that of God...I want so much to be in his will...I need so much to be in it and that's my hearts primary desire...he's fulfilling it everyday...

Renee said...

Amen to that! To both comments, there's nothing more I can say other than, AMEN!