"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Be Not Deceived: a look at fraternities and sororities

“Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil,” Romans 16:17-19, KJV.

Keeping in mind the scripture of not wrestling against flesh and blood, but against spiritual beings, let us consider things we involve ourselves with here on earth that makes us more susceptible to spiritual warfare. I’ll touch on them briefly, providing web links for further information. My purpose is not to hurt anyone, but to educate just as I have been educated. For Hosea 4:6, KJV, reads, “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.” It is not God’s will that any perish, but many are drawn away by their own lusts.

“Herald and preach the Word! Keep your sense of urgency [stand by, be at hand and ready], whether the opportunity seems to be favorable or unfavorable. [Whether it is convenient or inconvenient, whether it is welcome or unwelcome, you as preacher of the Word are to show people in what way their lives are wrong.] And convince them, rebuking and correcting, warning and urging and encouraging them, being unflagging and inexhaustible in patience and teaching. For the time is coming when [people] will not tolerate (endure) sound and wholesome instruction, but, having ears itching [for something pleasing and gratifying], they will gather to themselves one teacher after another to a considerable number, chosen to satisfy their own liking and to foster the errors they hold, And will turn aside from hearing the truth and wander off into myths and man-made fictions,” 2 Timothy 4:2-4, AMP.

Some areas that welcome spiritual warfare are pledges and oaths offered to any entity not reverencing God, in the name of Jesus, namely sororities and fraternities. This is particularly close to my heart as I pledged Zeta Phi Beta when I was in college. I saw nothing wrong with joining this organization as I was not hazed as many pledges are. I was not degraded in any manner, nor was I coerced to do things that I did not want to do. I saw many good aspects such as community services and we actively attended church together.

But in the past few years, the Holy Spirit convicted my heart unto righteousness as I sought Him more. The key area He had me to focus on was the rituals. There was a question formed in my heart as the ceremonies involved God. The question that formed in my heart many years after pledging was, “What god are they talking about?”

I went back, searched the manual and found no mention of Jesus Christ. God is used in a generic form. The Lord revealed to me that the reason Jesus is not mentioned is because all across the world this organization has grown to include people from all walks of life and wording it this way won’t exclude anyone. So that means that I would be a “sorority sister” or soror to a person who may be a Buddhist or Muslim. This would directly link me to those whose beliefs were in blatant contradiction to the Word of God. How could I be a sister of some who are of a different faith?

I understand that many will disagree with my statement and I do not apologize for it because I love Jesus. My aim is to please God and not man. Matthew 22:37, KJV, “Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.” I ask you to visit this site http://www.sa.rochester.edu/zetaphibeta/ and explain the song on this site to me. This is not exclusive to this particular sorority; it’s across the board of the Pan Hellenic Council. I could go into further detail, but that would probably take the rest of this year to really give it justice. I have provided below a list of links that you can review for yourself.

God commands us to love and if I did not love the Lord and my fellow man, I would just keep it all to myself. Believe me it would be easier that way because some may avoid you because of strengthened faith in God. “Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?” (Galatians 4:16)

There are still more information that I would like to share. Tomorrow’s post is a part 2 dealing with Freemasonry.

“My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow me…,” John 10:27, KJV.

Recommended Reading: Spiritual Warfare by Derek Prince



No comments: