"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Head of My Life

“Giving honor to the Lord Jesus Christ who is the head of my life…” I’m sure many have heard this in the church as an introduction, which I think is a very good introduction. I think it describes how I feel because He is my Lord. He comes first in my life and I give Him full reign in everything that I do. I hadn’t always done that, although that’s what I wanted, but I am happy today that I’m actually giving Him that without any qualms.

Now, why hadn’t I always done that, give God full reign in my life? I wanted Him to have it. Well, looking back I consider my lifestyle. Was my lifestyle pleasing to Him? I don’t think so. Although, I said that I wanted Him to take the reins in my life, did I really give it to Him? Making a decision to do something and actually doing it are two very different things. I could have made up my mind to do something ten years ago, but until I actually do it, I’m still living in the past.

1 Timothy 1:1-2, KJV, reads, “Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope; unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.” Paul was commanded, and he obeyed. Remember, if you love Me, you will keep my commandments? Obedience is the way to show love. Just making up our minds to accept Christ is one thing, to in fact accept Him is another.

Lord means master or ruler, the authority figure in your life. Saviour means a person who rescues another person or a thing from danger or harm. Why is it that most accept Jesus as Saviour and forget about the Lordship? I’ve heard some say that “God’s not going to put a person in hell for this or for that.” Scripture interprets scripture. Is it okay for me to choose to obey one part and forget about the other? Of course none of us are perfect, not one of us does everything right, but each one of us should at least try. Would it be okay for someone to say that they enjoy murdering and then stand before God on Judgement Day and say, “Lord I know that’s wrong, but I wanted to do it and I did it anyway.” Not even bothering to ask forgiveness and repent when they had the chance. Would it be okay if somebody broke into your house and stole everything you had? Would you expect the judge here on earth to say, “Oh, he was just having fun, just let it go.” And he had a chuckle to follow.

Lord. That means so much more to me now than it did five years ago, and will probably mean even more five years from now. Lord. Jesus is my Lord. He can do whatever He wants to do in my life. And in His word, He lets me know exactly what that is. Lord. I trust Him with my very life. If I had to die, then I would for Him. Lord, Savior, or both? Which is He to you?

And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great. Luke 6: 46-49, KJV

2 comments:

Felicia said...

I love this!! It makes you do a self check immediately...Do I accept the promise and forget the sacrifice? We are to be Living Sacrifices, holy and acceptable. That's only possible when we accept his Lordship. Wow!!! God Bless!

Mallen said...

It does make you re-evaluate yourself. We all have to give an account for what we do and to repent and ask forgiveness is always the Christian thing to do. In our lives, it should be automatic. But to sincerely ask forgiveness means that we shouldn't go back and make the same mistakes over and over again wholeheartedly knowing it's wrong. It's taking advantage of God. But do we care?