"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Friday, October 2, 2009

Salvation, can it be lost?

This was a topic that I questioned for a long time. I’ve heard ministers, preachers, and respected leaders speak on this and I’ve only heard two people, within the past couple months, consider what my husband and I discussed. We considered against the mass and believe that salvation can indeed be lost.

Many have said that salvation cannot be lost because if it is lost, that means you were never saved in the first place. Others have said, well, maybe they were false converts because once you accept Christ, you are in it forever. Is that really true? The reason why we questioned this is because the Bible specifically states that there will be a falling away. 2 Thessalonians 2:3, AMP, read, “Let no one deceive or beguile you in any way, for that day will not come except the [a]apostasy comes first [unless the predicted great [b]falling away of those who have professed to be Christians has come], and the man of lawlessness (sin) is revealed, who is the son of doom (of perdition).” Apostasy is defined as an abandonment of one's religious faith, a political party, one's principles, or a cause. The key word here is abandonment. The Bible also states that there will be blotting out of names. “You have rebuked the nations, You have destroyed the wicked; You have blotted out their name forever and ever,” Psalm 9:5, AMP. So, that leads me to believe that salvation can indeed be lost.

Now, understand that this does not mean that Jesus walks away or turns His back on us, because He most certainly does not. It is quite the opposite; we can walk away from Him. Consider this, when you marry someone, you make a firm commitment to be with them until death do you part, right? When you made that commitment, you were sincere at heart and meant everything that you said. I know some people aren’t sincere, but consider those who were when they stood at the altar. For many, there was no doubt that this was what they wanted to do. They were thoroughly convinced that this person was the one and no matter what happened they were going to stick it out and see things through to the end.

At some point in time, one in the marriage begins to feel differently about the decision they made. The other, still as committed as they were on day one and standing firm, even through the trials. The first person decides to walk away. They are tired of the union, they have lost faith because every thing that he or she wanted did not happen or has not happened yet and they file for divorce. What happened? One was committed and determined to be there no matter what the trial and the other wanted the marriage to end because it wasn’t worth all the stress. Jesus is committed. Although there will be tough times and moments of despair, He said that He will never leave nor forsake us.

Jesus said in Revelation 3:5, KJV, “He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before His angels.” So, I believe that salvation can be lost, because Jesus speaks about the blotting out. The name had to have been there in order for Him to blot it out. He never walks away from us, but we have the ability to walk away from so many things…including our salvation which rests in Christ Jesus.


Additional References: Psalm 9:5, Hebrew 13:5

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am kind of surprised there are no other comments on here about this topic. I was waiting before just popping up. I do find your analogy to a marriage an interesting one. I never thought of it like that before.

I have been to a wide variety of churches and our current one does preach you can lose your salvation. It seems people will pick and choose the verses they want to back up their opinion. I have to admit, there is a type of comfort when you hear those speakers who say "once saved, always saved."

I also know people who say they are afraid of a single wrong attitude that would cost them eternity in heaven. Individuals, not the church. I have not ever heard our church really say what it would take to loose your salvation.

Now that I have seen both sides, I have come to this conclusion: I need to be work out my own salvation, not listen to all these winds of doctrine and be swayed by them. I used to try and discuss this issue with people. God's Word is clear, if we have a heart to see it as such.

What can cost you your salvation? I do not know if it can be one sin, a habitual sin, a turning away or something I cannot even think of. But I will focus on my own salvation and hope to have a tender heart to hear when the Lord is telling me to forsake that sin.

Anonymous said...

I got to thinking last night. I hope I didn't come across as saying not to ever discuss this with others. Someone needs to say something, even if it goes against the tide. My thoughts were of those, and at times myself, when we get so very focused on debating this issue, we forget to remember to look at ourselves.

About your comments about letting go of things. Sometimes, it comes from a deep conviction to do so, but other times, we just do it because we know God would have us to. The emotion is sometimes not there. Even today, I just threw out something I held onto. I sure didn't want to, but I knew it was not pleasing to God. I need to die to my flesh daily.

Kim

Renee said...

Hi Kim,

I just wanted to let you know that you did not come across to me that you were saying not to share with others. I knew and got what you meant. It actually made me think as well today to remember that everybody is at a certain place in their lives and may not have received the message as I have or maybe they are not ready for it just yet. I'm not sure.

That was the scripture I used today while talking with someone, we must die to the flesh daily. I just wanted to drive home the distinction of doing something wrong and not caring what God thinks about it versus doing something wrong and asking oneself is this right and then repenting. I care about what God thinks of me, that's why I've given many things up...I aim to please Him, not man. And what the Holy Spirit reminded me is that blessed are you when men shall revile you for my sake. Some think that I may be over the top or "too spiritual or religious", but my question is, what do you think heaven is going to be like???? I love praising His name. Doesn't it say in the scripture that His praises shall be continuously in my mouth?

I applaud you for obeying God's word. It does not make either of us perfect because at one point or another we do fall, but when we do we know to look to God because that's where our help comes from.

I love you in Christ. Please, continue to keep Him first and I thank you again for reading and commenting. Your comments help me as well.

Renee said...

Hi Kim,

Thanks for commenting. I think many didn't comment because they are in the masses. I have observed many doing whatever they want and still call themselves a Christian. Just as I mentioned, God does not walk away from us, but we can walk away from Him. Just as in a marriage when a person cheats, if they want to stay in that marriage they ask for forgiveness...sincerely. That's how we must come to God. But when we do something, have no remorse and pretty much throw it up in God's face, is that respect? Is that a petition to be reunited? Is that a Christian?

God puts up with so much from us and yes we do fall, but when I fall (do something wrong) I ask Him to forgive me. And when I ask Him for forgiveness, I aim to go in the right direction. I do not want to wallow in the sin that I have committed. I change whatever needs to be changed and ask God for His help. Not to say I'm perfect or that we must be perfect, but just as you stated, we must work-out our own salvation. I love God and I don't want anything to hinder me from getting to Him.

We do so much for other people, yet short change Our Father. I let go of many things because I love Him. It was something that God revealed to me and I was obedient. I tell others about my testimony, but not everybody is receptive. This isn't always easy, but something we must do...telling others about Christ and not just shouting out a feel good message. I'm tired of milk sermons...it's time for meat!

Thank you so much Kim for your honesty and input because your comments help me as well. I am just going to work out my own salvation...and tell others about it along the way.