"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Power of God

A few years ago one night as I was praying, the model Lord’s Prayer at the time, “…For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever…,” the word power bold printed inside of my head. So much emphasis was placed on power that it caused me to pause and think. So, I had no choice, but to hear what the Holy Spirit was saying to me. Power is defined as possession of controlling influence. In other words, it’s authority over something.

As I examine the usage of the word power in the Bible, I see that it is used as an overcoming factor. It displays the ability to overcome situations, circumstances, or conditions. In Christ, it never fails. This is especially important to remember when you are laughed at or made fun of or talked about because of your love for Jesus. Well, Jesus put it best when he said in Luke 10:19-20 (KJV): Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

I count it all joy, trusting in the Lord. I rest in Him, examining myself daily. I long for further communion in His presence, thanking Him for saving me. An atheist even said on an interview that if you are a true believer then you should not apologize for being a “Bible-thumper”. He drove home the truth, even in his ignorance that Christians should speak and live out their beliefs. He even went as far as to quote Mark 16:15, KJV, “…Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” This was a person who does not even believe in God. I know that God is sovereign and can use anyone to preach the Gospel, it’s just sad that many of us relinquish the power given to us by our Father to the enemy. Satan only has the power that is given to him.

Then I thought about the moments leading up to Jesus’ crucifixion. When Jesus met with Pilate and Pilate thought he had power over Him. “So Pilate said to Him, Will You not speak [even] to me? Do You not know that I have power (authority) to release You and I have power to crucify You? Jesus answered, You would not have any power or authority whatsoever against (over) Me if it were not given you from above. For this reason the sin and guilt of the one who delivered Me over to you is greater,” John 19:10-12, AMP.

As Christians, when things do happen and we know that we are in God’s hands, understand that it does not occur outside of God’s knowledge. Often, we may experience things because God knows that we are able to bear it. Sometimes, it may be to show someone else, or yourself, the definition faith. But we must always remember that power comes from God and through His divine insight we are taught how to use it.


Additional Reference: 1 Peter 1:3-7

No comments: