"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Friday, December 4, 2009

At the House of God

For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator,” 1 Peter 4:17-19, KJV.

In serving the Lord, I take my actions very seriously. I do admit that I hadn’t always. But I’ve learned that when you ask God for wisdom, knowledge, understanding, insight, and application, with it comes conviction. It is that gnawing feeling that when you think a bad thought or say the wrong thing, a spirit of discernment corrects and obedience should soon follow.

I do not take it lightly that I am a Christian. My faith is all I really have to hold onto. I cannot place my stock in my husband or my parents, but in God alone. We must not love the gift more than the giver. God is a “rewarder of them that diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6).” Our trust must be in Him alone. Now, this is not to say that you cannot or should not trust people. It is to drive home that no matter what others may say or do; God has it all under control.

Understanding who God is helps me in knowing who I am and my reason for being. “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them,” Ephesians 2:10, KJV. And as we walk in our God-ordained purpose, our life is that much more fulfilled. What a joy to know that salvation is mine! It is an honor to obey the Gospel, not by my own power, but in God’s. I am not perfect, but Jesus is. And I am thankful that God sees me through His Son.

For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God…” At the house of God could be taken literally, but I believe it means spiritually. Jesus is not coming back for a church building, He is coming back for a church, those obeying His word. Those who love good and hate evil, and those who say no to the world for the gain of eternal life. In this passage I’m reminded of the judgement seat of Christ. “Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences,” 2 Corinthians 5:9-11.

It’s not enough to just say that I’m a Christian and sit on the sidelines as a lazy one at that, but I must be active in bringing more to Christ. Somebody cared enough to teach us the way, we must continue the work. And as Christians, we should be in the mindset of encouraging one another, helping, and teaching as we have been taught. It’s not fair to get the understanding and not share it with the one you call a brother or sister in Christ. Sure, they may not receive it, but be diligent in planting that seed. “So neither he who plants is anything nor he who waters, but [only] God Who makes it grow and become greater. He who plants and he who waters are equal (one in aim, of the same importance and esteem), yet each shall receive his own reward (wages), according to his own labor. For we are fellow workmen (joint promoters, laborers together) with and for God; you are God's [a]garden and vineyard and field under cultivation, [you are] God's building,” 1 Corinthians 3:7-9, AMP.

“…and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?” The righteous scarcely make it in. This tells me that there is no room for games. We must come to God with a sincere heart, again, willing to let Him have His way. Just let Him have His way.

“Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.”

Additional Reference: Romans 14:9-13

No comments: