"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Tuesday, December 1, 2009

One Mediator

“For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,” 1 Timothy 2:5, KJV.

As I read this scripture, I ponder on the meaning of the word mediator. This adjective has several synonyms that prompt me to view Jesus from different perspectives. Consider the following synonyms for mediator: referee, arbitrator, negotiator, and moderator. I believe that Jesus acts in all these capacities and them some.

What does a referee do? Well, aside from the formal definition, I consider ball games that I watch. In football, the referee is right there on the field with the players. He’s not in the stands with the spectators nor is he in the sky box where the owner may sit. He is down where the action is taking place. At times the referee feels what the players feel with the blows taken. Because they are on the playing field, they experience some of the same things. This is where I think on how Jesus feels when His children are acting in disobedience, on the field but going against the rules. Also, when one of His children is hurt to the core and in need, He knows. Recall when Jesus spoke of feeding the hungry, visiting the sick and shut in, and clothing the naked. He said, “…Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of these, ye did it not to me. (Matthew 25:45)” He is personally involved. He is certainly my referee.

Then I meditate on the position of an arbitrator. An arbitrator is usually found in a court house or in some legal capacity acting as the go-between. This position requires that the facts be reviewed with the goal of a settlement among the opposing parties. When I consider this as it relates to Jesus, I imagine the love Jesus had for us when He came to Earth. When in arbitration, settlements aren’t always reached; so, is the same with salvation. As an arbitrator, Jesus offers the sacrifice made for the free gift of salvation. In court proceedings parties either choose to agree with whatever is placed on the table, or decide to take the other option by going to trial. Those who reject Christ are the ones whom you find saying, “Well, I don’t want to get saved now. I’ll just take my chances.” What a risk to take?

I believe Jesus also acted as a negotiator on our behalf. I offer this view because atonement for sins from the Old Testament was done away with. Atonement was done away with because there was a better sacrifice coming, one that would take care of past, present, and future sins. I believe this because in the beginning God said, “Let us make man in our image (Genesis 1:26).” The word us lets us know that there was more than one member of the Godhead. So, when the decision to make man came about, it was a joint effort. And I believe that when sin atonement moved away from sacrificing animals, a negotiation was made. A negotiation consists of a give and take. God gives life through Jesus and in order to receive we are to trade in our sinful nature for deliverance. Jesus offers Himself as Lord and Savior and we are to take up the cross and follow Him.

Lastly, I believe Jesus acts as a moderator—a representative. In His acting as a representative, Jesus is our lawyer. In front of God the Father, He defends our case. As His children, God sees us through Jesus. When Jesus sat in on arbitration, encouraging a settlement, that’s when the decision was made. As salvation was accepted, the case was already won! Jesus then presents our case before the Father and confirms us. He speaks on our behalf as we boldly spoke on His behalf. We decided to live acknowledging Him before men. He stands in the gap, bridging us with God the Father.

He is the mediator, the man, Christ Jesus.

No comments: