"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Monday, December 7, 2009

Holy Communion

What is Holy Communion? Well, I begin with the basic definition of the word holy—sacred, set apart for God, devotion. Communion is a spiritual union or close relationship. So you see we cannot have one without the other. Holy Communion is an intimate connection between a man/woman and the One true and living God, just as we describe holy matrimony as marriage between one man and one woman.

How important is it to commune with the Lord? It is a daily occurrence on many of our parts. Oftentimes, at least I’ve found this true for myself, that it is natural. It is a lifestyle, not just a part of my life. On most mornings as I jump out of bed, my body automatically knows to slide down to my knees. At times when I open my eyes, I form my lips to whisper the words, thank you Lord, as I know without Him that wouldn't be possible. Then there are days when I get up to rush into the bathroom, promising God that I’ll be on my knees soon. Then I find myself doing other things like brushing my teeth, fixing my hair, or talking to my husband. My spirit is soon put in check, there’s something missing here….my quiet time with God. I quickly retreat to my “secret place” and apologize knowing that forgiveness waits there.

Many may answer the question, what is holy communion, by stating that it is a time set aside for the church (congregation) to recognize the last supper Jesus had with His disciples. But it goes deeper than that alone because that is only symbolic. “And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for man,” Mark 14:24, KJV. It is a reminder of what He accomplished on the cross. The power is in the blood of Jesus, not the wine of man.

When taking part in the communion service, one must be in right standing with God. You must have accepted Him as Lord and Savior. There must be a relationship, a devotion that is sincere. If there is not, the scripture states, “For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come. Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep,” 1 Corinthians 11:26-30, KJV. Ever wondered why some fall ill for no apparent reason? This is definitely something we must consider.

"I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread,” 1 Corinthians 10:15-17, KJV.

No comments: