"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Friday, October 9, 2009

In the Presence of my Enemies

“Yes, though I walk through the [deep, sunless] valley of the shadow of death, I will fear or dread no evil, for You are with me; Your rod [to protect] and Your staff [to guide], they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with [a]oil; my [brimming] cup runs over,” Psalm 23:4-5, AMP.
I begin with the amplified Bible notes regarding this passage of scripture: Psalm 23:5 “It is difficult for those living in a temperate climate to appreciate, but it was customary in hot climates to anoint the body with oil to protect it from excessive perspiration. When mixed with perfume, the oil imparted a delightfully refreshing and invigorating sensation. Athletes anointed their bodies as a matter of course before running a race. As the body, therefore, anointed with oil was refreshed, invigorated, and better fitted for action, so the Lord would anoint His "sheep" with the Holy Spirit, Whom oil symbolizes, to fit them to engage more freely in His service and run in the way He directs--in heavenly fellowship with Him.”

With this in mind, I envision that God has thoroughly equipped us for any type of battle that we may encounter. The Holy Spirit is our comforter, our guide. So, although we may encounter adversity, dark moments, we have the “oil” as our protection.

The valley of the shadow of death describes the rough times in our lives. Each person may describe their valley as something different. They can be periods of despair, moments that lack understanding, bouts of pain, and times of loneliness and neglect. In the midst of this, we are to fear no evil because the Lord is with us. As our Shepard, His rod and staff comforts.

What’s very interesting is that while we are yet experiencing perilous moments, God prepares a table before us in the presence of our enemies. Now, when God prepares anything, we know that it is good for us. The table leads me to believe that there is food there, spiritual food good for edifying the saints. When we look at the table, it takes the focus off of the enemies and places it on the things of God.

In Matthew 14, when Peter walked on the water to go to our Lord, distraction came upon him and he began to sink. What happened? Peter took his eyes off of Jesus and placed it on something else. We’re to focus on God and what He has us to do. Allowing doubt and distractions to enter our minds can hinder us.

Let us look to the Lord where our help comes from. This table in the presence of our enemies is there to strengthen and nourish. This table provides everything that we need. This table accompanies us along the way. So as my spiritual strength is built, I continue to eat from the table. When I start to feel weary, I eat. When I become worn and tired, I eat. When I feel beat up or just plain beat down, I eat because I know God placed that table there for such a time as this. What’s more amazing is that God supplies us with enough to give to somebody else.

Allow your cup to overflow into someone else’s life.

No comments: