"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What are you afraid of? part 1

THE LORD is my Light and my Salvation--whom shall I fear or dread? The Lord is the Refuge and Stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even my enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though a host encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, [even then] in this will I be confident,” Psalm 27:1-3, AMP

What is fear? Many dictionaries describe fear as an emotion experienced in anticipation of some specific pain or danger usually accompanied by a need to run away from or fight. One in a sense is expected to be uneasy or apprehensive about the “fear-bearing” situation. But this is the negative side of fear; the world usually won’t tell you that there is a positive or healthy side of fear. If it is mentioned, it’s downplayed to a degree of dismissal most times.

Healthy fear is reverence, a regard with feelings of respect and worship. For the Bible reads in Psalm 111:10, KJV, “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do His commandments: His praise endureth for ever.” This healthy fear comes out of a place of submission, not uneasiness and doubt.

How do you know if you’re fearful of something? This can be measured by your willingness of wanting to do a thing, but choked by the suffocating apprehension of following through. Relationships are a prevalent area in which fear is readily consumed. Many are afraid of starting over or even stepping out. Challenges and failures from the past haunt them and stifle any progress that they may think of making in the future.

Years ago I never thought that I was afraid of much. I was like many, considering that fear of heights, fear of the dark, or fear of flying was all natural. That is so untrue. My fear was of unseen things. I think I had somehow trained myself to be afraid of the dark. But then I learned that this was not natural. If it were natural, then it would have come from the Lord. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind,” reads 2 Timothy 1:7, NKJV.

There is nothing normal about fear other than the fear of the Lord. And then that fear, as stated earlier, is from a place of reverence and awe—that is produced out of love. How often has it been said that it is okay to have some degree of fear? Some say fear drives them to do better in careers, afraid that if they don’t make a certain salary their families will be disappointed. Others say that fear is necessary to push you to perform better; or is it because they are afraid that somebody else is going to take their jobs. Is this living or just existing?

“But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him,” Hebrews 11:6, KJV.

It is impossible to please the Lord without faith. Fear is the opposite of faith. Are you afraid?

“But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death,” Revelation 21:8, KJV

Stay tuned for part 2…

Additional Reference: Psalm 147:11

No comments: