"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Friday, October 30, 2009

It’s All in Fun

“Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus,” Philippians 4:5-7, KJV.

The Lord is at hand... This passage of scripture is very timely and so needed. As people get ready for Halloween, preparing like it’s their birthday, I rest in the peace of God that passes all understanding. I think if many knew the gravity of what they were actually doing, some would cease in their actions. I hear many say that God knows their hearts, but what is their heart telling Him. I think this serves as some sort of justification for their actions, but it is in fact a confirmation of what they are doing.

Yes, God knows our hearts, that’s why I traded mine in for Jesus’. I know that my best deeds are as filthy rags and none of them can save me. Only Christ can save me and I thank Him for what He accomplished on the cross. Once I surrendered my life over to Him, I wanted to do good things. No, good works cannot save me, but because I am saved I do good works. Many things I use to do in the past, now disgust me, but thank God He looks at us and sees Jesus. I am covered by the blood.

So, with that being said, my life has to be a display of what is in my heart. If it is in my heart to serve Him, that’s what I will do. No, this does not mean that I am perfect, what it means is that when I do stumble, He reaches down and picks me up. Because I love Him, I hunger and thirst after righteousness. I consider my actions and how they may make Him feel. We consider our actions when it comes to other people, why don’t some of us do it when it comes to Christ?

Consider this, if somebody cursed your mother out or shoved your spouse/companion in chest to harm them you would get upset. Well, when others defame Christ or bring reverence to another god, I get upset. And it’s even more challenging when these are people who say they love Him. And the response from them is, “God knows my heart.”

In many people’s eyes it is okay to play certain games for fun. Many get palm readings, consult horoscopes, and ask questions with Ouija boards, thinking it’s just a venue to entertain, but it’s amazing how many receive these things as the word of truth and not God. And later wonder why certain things come to pass in their lives. It’s not just fun and games—it’s spiritual adultery! These things have catastrophic effects. But then again…God knows the heart. And knowing that this is a true statement, what is your heart saying?

Halloween is not just a “holiday” it is a day that brings reverence to satan.

Suggested Link: Halloween Specifics

Additional Reading: Isaiah 64:6

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my first October 31 as a Christian. No one had to tell me it was wrong. I felt in my spirit the oppressiveness of the day. My younger siblings were interested in the occult and so I felt it even more. I was heading in that direction when the Lord God called me out of darkness into His marvellous light.

Renee said...

Amen, Kim! I sometimes look forward to your comments. God is so good and worthy to be praised! The oocult is a deep, dark place and I pray all find their way to God in Jesus name, but understanding that God does not invade upon free will.

His way is perfect and He's always there for us. He never walks away, but I pray for those who walk away from Him.

Anonymous said...

My sister, now after all these years, has begun to seek the Lord. I so wish I was with her, but we have some physical distance between us. She is so eager to learn about the Lord. She is ever so close and I long to see her walk in the newness of life.
My mother is making it hard on her. My sister, yet lives with her. So if you think about her, please pray for Lori. She's been through so much and I pray these things will draw her closer to the Lord.

Lord bless you for your courage to post,
Kim

Renee said...

Kim, you know what? As I was cooking dinner, praise the Lord, I prayed for your siblings before I even received this message. The Holy Spirit moved me and you know how we can be...I said okay, Lord I'll pray later, but it pressed on me and I prayed right then and there!

I thank you for your honesty and openness. Everyday of my life, I seek to do the will of God. The enemy is out there, whispering in our ears and attempting to challenge our faith, but I STAND when there's nothing else I can do.

I will indeed pray for God to work on your mother's heart and your sister's strength. I will agree with you on behalf of your family. God is a miracle worker...trust Him. He's the only help we have.

In Christ, have a safe weekend.

Anonymous said...

Oh what a blessing to see how God works like this! He is so amazing to me.