"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Watch your Mouth, part 2

“Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers,” Ephesians 4:29, KJV

Continuing with the post from yesterday, I examine the use of profanity. Now, I was never one to curse or curse someone out, but for some reason I allowed those words to creep into the pages of my novels. Just as I have mentioned before, in my mind I thought this was reality. But whose reality was I portraying?

The definition profane is characterized by irreverence or contempt for God or sacred principles or things, irreligious. It is further described as not being devoted to holy or religious purposes; unconsecrated or secular. If I had taken the time to look up profanity years ago, it would have saved me from the way I chose to construct my books.

You see, profanity to me was just something people used, even “church people.” I had been in the presence of people who were self-professed Christians (in the church probably longer than I’d been alive) and used profanity. I just never felt comfortable saying profane words, although I used them in my novels. I was just so used to hearing it, it became normal. Initially I saw nothing wrong with a couple of words here and there. It was just the way people talked. It was just the way it was. The thought was what is the harm? Isn’t that sad?

But the problem is that words used that are profane crowd our lives. They speak volumes in the atmosphere that are detrimental to growth in Christ. One of the synonyms of profanity is blasphemy. Blasphemy is defined as profanation: blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character. Lord, please forgive me ever using that language to do your work because in the process I deprived it of its sacred character. The holiness was lost somewhere in the message due to the delivery. Our words can hurt us even when we think we’re helping.

Take a look at the common synonym, curse, which means a prayer or invocation for harm or injury to come upon one. Is this what we really want when speaking to each other? The lines of morality are being blended together so smoothly, just about anything is being accepted. Why? Psalms 34:1, KJV, reads, “I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.” Today, I let my words be words of praises to Him and encouragement to others. I have abolished all profane words from my novels and aim to live more like Christ as He is the standard. I do not change the words in the Bible to fit my life or lifestyle, I allow Christ to change my life so that I can live according to the Bible.

What are we telling God when we speak?

“Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer,” Psalm 19:14, KJV.

2 comments:

Tereza Allen-Duncan said...

This is wonderful...watch your mouth...even though I had basic concept of what profanity means, to see it in black and white spoke volumes...I never really took the time to look it up and break it down either...thanks for this post...it gives me new ammo against the enemy...love you lots

Anonymous said...

I have heard so many varying things from Christians on this matter. Some say they are merely words, but it is the attitude behind when we say them. That is true to a degree, but we Christians are to have a higher standard than the world.

If my speech would cause another to stumble than it is wrong. I once said a word that is not really a cuss word and I saw the look of shock on my husband's face. It took awhile, but it is no longer something that pops out without a thought.

I have heard some of our common exclamations can be viewed as cussing by other faiths. Someone mentioned in a group I was in that she used the word, Wow, in a letter to an Amish pen pal. The girl wrote back and asked her not to use that word again in their communication as they view that as cussing.

To me that seems to take it a little far, but if this is something that offends another person, I would try not to use it in their presence, but I would try to see if I had any wrong attitudes in using it at other times.