"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Monday, November 23, 2009

The Glory through Suffering

“And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us,” Romans 8:17-18, KJV.

All around us there is suffering, famine, lack, and tribulations. We see those suffering from mental breakdowns, emotional stress, and spiritual deficiency. The challenges presented on a daily basis will either cause one to become stronger or collapse. God is not immune to the reality of this world, He knows it very well. He did not create the trouble, but He offers the peace. Many have blamed God for creating such an evil world, but what He has created, the enemy has perverted. And what the enemy perverts only occurs with the aid of those who were given free will—humans.

Each day may bring on a new challenge; some may be so small that it’s not even considered a challenged at all. Others appear as mountains which seem unmovable. But none of it occurs without the knowledge of God. Years ago when I meditated on the fact that God knew all the pain that I had been through, I was saddened. I dare to say that I felt a little betrayed. I couldn’t understand why God would allow certain things to happen to me. Then revelation came as I sought out His true character. He said that He will never leave me nor forsake me. For a minute those words didn’t justify how I felt. It almost sounded contradictory in my mind, until I got a hold of His peace that passes all understanding.

Although I thought my pain was bad, Jesus’ suffering was much greater. The hurt feelings and sting of loss from a loved one passing compared as nothing next to what He had to endure. I’m not just speaking of His physical pain, the anguish of being whipped all night long, but I speak of the emotional sting of rejection. Imagine His suffering for a moment…I mean really think about it, how many of us would be willing to endure so much? How many of us would be able to? So much pressure that He sweat drops of blood. Now that’s love.

If Jesus would allow us only a fraction of what He experienced, I doubt if any of us would be able to take it for very long. The pursuit of knowledge, the ultimate sacrifice, the free gift of salvation God offered…only to be thrown back in His face by some. It saddens me that it took so many years to really become serious about my salvation. But then I rejoice because He loved me that much!

What was I doing spending so much time in disobedience and so little time communing with Him? It was that I got wrapped up in the gifts He gave me and forgot all about the giver. I have to say these things as I know I’m not alone. Some may pretend that they have lived a saved life all their life, but the danger of that is calling God a liar (1 John 1:10). I know that I was wrong on so many levels in my past, but to admit it makes me free (John 8:32)!

So, when I think on the times of when I felt abandoned, God says don’t trust your circumstances, trust Me. When I feel like I’m all alone in the world, He reminds me that He is with me, even unto to the end of the world (Matthew 28:20). When I start shedding tears because I feel like no one understands, I mean truly understands, He tells me to do all that I do unto Him, not unto men (Colossians 3:17). When I feel the need to just go home…and be with Him, I am reminded of what Paul said, “For me to live is Christ [His life in me], and to die is gain [the gain of the glory of eternity],” Philippians 1:21, AMP.

There is such a need for those who are serious about God to step up. Many are dying off and dying off young, it saddens me to know that there are those who still say, “I’m young, I’ve got time.” I understand more clearly with each passing day these words, “Seek ye the Lord while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near,” Isaiah 55:6, KJV.

Reference: Philippians 1:20-24

No comments: