"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by Him." Colossians 3:17, KJV

Praise the Lord


Welcome to In His Name, a devotional site where the Word of God is posted and explored. This site embraces the love of Jesus Christ, encouraging Bible study.


Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Protection of God

“The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple. For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock. And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the LORD,” Psalm 27:1-6, AMP.

I will indeed sing praises unto the Lord! God inhabits the praises of His people (Psalm 22:3). When God inhabits, there shall He live. So, the more we praise, the closer He is. The protection of our Father I believe is felt very deeply in the lives of those who love Him. There have been times when I didn’t know what I was going to do about certain situations, or where I was going to turn, yet somehow God brought me through. In God bringing me through, this strengthened my faith evermore. My faith was already there in Him, but as He proves Himself over and over again, it continues to grow. And I live in expectation of what God is to do in the future.

In this psalm of David, the above passage imprints upon our minds the devotion God has for His children. It’s telling of how we trust in Him and of how He receives us, His children. I think of parents and children and the connection shared. There is a bond of trust that develops over the years, for most families. The child takes note of the parent’s caring ways. When food or clothing is needed, that parent makes a ways. In considering this, I am not oblivious that some have the unfortunate experience of family members who may have abandoned them. This is a case in point of why we must look to God as our example, not each other.

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” It is important to be mindful that we are not to be fearful of those who can kill the body, rather the One who can destroy the body and soul in Hell (Matthew 10:28). This life is short; it doesn’t matter if you’re here one hundred years, that's still short in comparison to eternity. So, why not spend the time allotted serving God. He is the source of strength, the light that guides, and the door of salvation.

One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.” To seek is to pursue, to race after, to actively search for. It is an opportunity of worship which ushers in the very presence of God. To behold the beauty of the Lord is to see Him for who He is. There is a reason why we aren’t to physically see the face of God until we leave this world. I consider that one reason may be so that we aren’t caught up on the outward beauty. When Jesus spoke on Earth, he stressed an emphasis on inward beauty. There wasn’t a criterion of how we must “look” to get into heaven, rather a conduct. “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal,” Matthew 6:19-20, KJV. He spoke clearly of the intangible, those things that we can’t touch, such as love. Simply put, He examines the heart. In doing that, He covers, protects, and shows favor over our lives, shielding us from dangers seen and unseen.

“For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.”

No comments: